Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A little Ohayocon, a little sewing for me and a little quilting

I didn't get a chance to work on Catwoman sadly. Hopefully I can do that soon.

I did sew a hook onto my Harley Quinn jacket. Its meant for my mask when I'm tired of carrying it, but I may just hook some old keys on there. We'll see.

I finished sewing together the rows of my beau's quilt which means.....I finished my first quilt top! I am quite excited. Now of course comes the actual quilting....

The Joker jacket is almost finished. I sewed in most of the lining today, until I hit a snag -- the lining was just a touch short around one sleeve. So I brought it home, sewed in a little more fabric and pinned it. Its in my sewing basket to finish sewing tomorrow. I also hemmed the sleeves. Before sewing in the lining, I basted the lapels into place so that it would be easier to sew the lining to the lapels. I took the basting out when the lining was stitched into place. EDIT I just finished sewing the lining into place on the second sleeve. Even though it'll need buttons at some point, it's wearable as is and so I am considering it DONE. (Jan. 5, 2011) It took me one day under two weeks to finish. Not bad, not bad at all.

I worked on my pin up skirt. First of all, let me describe the skirt. Its a circle skirt style (one of my favorites) done in two layers -- the pin up fabric is the top layer and the 'petticoat' layer is cream cotton with a polka dot ruffle. I basted the zipper into place on the pin up fabric. Then I sewed the ruffle into place and hemmed it. Next I sewed the two layers together along the top with a basting stitch and sewed the zipper into place in the lining layer. Then I sewed the waistband (which is polka dotted on the outside, cream on the inside) to the top of the skirt then pinned it into place so that it covers the stitching at the top of the skirt. Its in my sewing basket to hand stitch down tomorrow. I also put some cream lace in there, as I am quite tempted to trim one if not both layers in lace.

I decided which pattern to use for my corduroy skirt. I'm going with the long version of the wrap skirt, probably the plaid one in the bottom row. I need to get some interesting closures for it. I'm hoping that I'll actually wear it. I usually wear a lot of circle skirts, which means I don't really have anything else in my wardrobe so something different would be nice. I think I'll just have to force myself to wear it the first few times, until I get used to the new-ness.

I also decided what to do with my pink suedecloth. I'm going to make the Vogue skirt on the left, the one with the flared bottom. At least I hope I am, I think it'll be cutting it close fabric wise. But the flared skirt is the plan, if not, I'll probably go with the Vogue on the right, with the godets as it uses less fabric.

All in all, I think I had a rather successful day. Tomorrow I would like to finish the Joker jacket and the Pin Up Skirt. I may also have time to either work on Miss Dashwood's costume or cut out one of my skirts, probably the corduroy will be first. It'll give me a winter-y skirt to wear.

My new year's resolution is to name each item I make myself. It'll be more entertaining that way.

A bientot!

Miss Leah J Wilde
Steam-stress of the Airship Archon

No comments:

Post a Comment