It took two nights after working both jobs but I got the zipper put in. I took out the old stitching then followed a tutorial on converting a button fly to a zipper. I had to re do the crotch seam because it wasn't laying properly. I hope the seam holds, I had to make the seam allowance rather tiny at one spot to make the fly lay correctly.
The tutorial was on Cyber Seams - http://cyberseams.com/article/105117/clothes/pants_and_trousers_attaching_a_zipper_tutorial_part_1.html
The zipper looks rather well, I used a white nine inch zipper. I had a purple zipper, but it was only seven inches and I was worried that would be too short. I went ahead and pinned the next step -- sewing the back and front legs together at the side seams, but stopped short of sewing them considering how late it is. I'll need to finish the seams, as the fabric looks to be raveling, and my beau will definitely need to try on the trousers, as they look a little large. But I think that the most difficult part is already finished with the zipper being done.
I'm off to bed, my darling readers.
Miss Leah J Wilde