Sunday, April 3, 2011

Slow Going Progress on Marcon Prep

I haven't been up to much sewing over the last few days, between work and life.

Corset Commission for Rachel:

Rachel and James came in and bought the fabric for her corset the other day. Two cottons, one red and black, one white and black, along with white denim for the interlining. I'm going to use thread, boning, eyelets and maybe some lace from my stash. The goal is for the corset to be reversible. I prewashed the fabric and cut out the pattern pieces yesterday. Next up will be cutting out the fabric. EDIT The pattern has been cut out of all three fabrics. Next up: sewing the denim to one of the cottons and then sewing one side of the corset together for a fitting.

Ottoman Vest:

I worked on this a lot yesterday (I was in a car for four hours). All the basic border work is done, I put in a little more of the pink until I tired of it and then I started couching down spirals for the actual border. I have three spirals done, I probably have at least a dozen more to go plus all the fill in work. EDIT I worked on this more tonight, mainly some fill in work. I hope that I can have the border done by Marcon, I'm starting to think it may be too much work...

Joker:

My beau has decided that he doesn't want this costume for Marcon and wants it for DragonCon instead. So work for this is being set aside for the time being.

Cage Bustle Petticoat:

I hemmed this yesterday and just need to sew on a hook and eye closure to finish it off. EDIT I sewed the hook closure on so this is DONE.

Fabric Shopping and Plans for Persian Steampunk:

I purchased several things yesterday, but most importantly I purchased a new Simplicity pattern that is pretty perfect for the Persian inspired outfit I want to do. I think I am going to dye my silk faille olive green to go with the brocade vest. I'm going to do fabric covered buttons. I am unsure what the top is going to look like underneath the vest yet. I purchased a remnant of border eyelet, that may be what I use. I don't know if I want the stark white and may try to dye it, with tea or with dye. The only problem is its polyester / cotton blend so it won't take dye perfectly. I'm planning to line the vest in muslin, I'll probably dye that as well. Maybe coral if I can find a good shade because the brocade has coral in it.

I don't have enough fabric to make this wholly out of brocade. So my options are shortening it (which I really don't want to do) or making part of it out of something else. I think I'm going to see if I can find some coral satin or something similar to use.

Confederate Vivandiere:

Miss Von Stoup and I need to get started on these soon. I believe we may be fabric shopping this week or next. I'm thinking suiting fabric may best suit our needs.

Okay, let's take a look at my MARCon to do list, shall we?
  1. Add lace to Miss Dashwood's black cotton bustle
  2. Steamnun for Miss Dashwood (at least I assume she needs it for MARCon)
  3. Alterations for the Captain - I finally gathered these from the Captain today. I need to take in a few things for him, and repair a vest.
  4. New bustle for Harley Quinn - DONE
  5. Embroidered border on my Lady of the Ottoman Empire vest
  6. A more permanent solution to my Ottoman bustle. I'm thinking sewing the two scarves together along part of the top and then a bunch of hooks and or snaps to actually bustle it.
  7. Steampunk Confederate Vivandiere.
  8. Corset for Rachel.
  9. I'm not really planning to finish the Persian outfit by MARCon, its more of a DragonCon outfit, but if it happens and its finished, I'm wearing it.
I'm starting to feel the pre-convention panic - MARCon is 7 weeks from this coming Friday.

Now that you have all been updated, I'm off to work on projects. Today will probably be - a little project for my beau, sewing the hook and eye closure on my cage bustle petticoat, embroidering my vest and maybe cutting out the corset if I get bored with embroidery.

UPDATE - Finished the project for my beau. Sewed the hook closure onto my bustle. Worked on embroidering my vest. And cut out the corset. I also spent time thinking about my Persian outfit. Not bad for a Sunday, huh?

A bientot!

Miss Leah J. Wilde

PS Non Marcon Sewing - I also cut out a skirt. The pattern is Vogue 2029, something I've had forever and never made. The fabric is a tan textured mystery fabric that Miss Dashwood got from her mother and said I could have if I wanted it. After cutting it out, I have similar misgivings to those that she had about it -- while the texture is interesting, the fabric ravels very easily and seems to lack stability. But I've already cut it out so we'll see how it goes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment