Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Persian Steampunk ...

... No, it's not done. But it IS coming along well and the vest is almost finished! Its put together and the lining is in and topstitched! There was however a small moment of panic when I realized that I somehow put the back together wrong -- I'd sewn the side back seams together as the center back seam and then the side back pieces to the center back seams...yeah it was a little bit of a mess, and I had to take out and redo all three seams. But all that's left now is finishing the arm holes, buttonholes and buttons. And rings underneath for bustling purposes of course. Oh and tacking down the pocket flaps...

I also cut out the yoke pieces for the skirt. The plan is to gather down a little under two yards of fabric to fit the yoke, have it overlap in the back and close with a hook closure because I don't want to mess with a zipper. I'm going to interface the yoke (probably with muslin) because the silk faille needs the stability and I need to decide what I'm cutting the inside yoke out of, maybe some pink lining I have...or just more muslin. I plan to just hem it to length without cutting any fabric off. It'll minimize fraying and I can easily use the fabric for something else at a later date if necessary since both selvage edges will be intact. I also feel that the extra wide hem at the bottom will give it some extra weight and hold the skirt in place properly.

Then of course comes the bodice, but I'm not one hundred percent sure I'm going to make one. I do have a blouse I could wear... The current plan is a white eyelet and broadcloth bustier made according to the pattern. I may break out my favorite corset top pattern instead, I haven't decided yet. I want to cut part of front of the bodice so that the edge of the eyelet is along the top of the bodice. The rest of the bodice will just be plain white broadcloth.

I still need to name this costume...

In Confederate uniform news, Miss Von Stoup should be visiting the shuttle Friday evening for us to work on our skirts. The plan is to take about two to two and a half yards of our gray cotton sateen, cut it along the fold line, sew the two pieces together, hem them and then gather them down to a quilt binding waistband cut to a few inches longer than our waists so that the skirt can overlap where it closes. I don't foresee it taking too long, but I've been wrong before, and I will be helping her with her skirt as well as making my own. I'd like to cut out my jacket first and then use the remainder for my skirt, but I don't know if I'll have time for that. Hopefully we can get a good start on them Friday night and finish them next week. I really feel that they won't be ready for Marcon -- while the basic construction won't take long, there is a lot of embellishment to do, like braid and buttons.

That's it for now!

A bientot!

Miss Leah J Wilde

PS I really need to make a packing list for my trip home this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment