Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Musings on Sewing I'd Like to Do Over the Next Year

After finishing my current fall / winter wardrobe sewing (two skirts and two jumpers and maybe something in plaid...high waisted skirt for work / play perhaps...) and after finishing my elf-punk ensemble (I still need to sew some snaps or hooks on to attach the bustle to the apron as well as make a hat), I need to start thinking about next year's convention schedule and what I want to make.

First up is sewing for Miss Von Stoup. I know she wants something out of a black and silver fabric we purchased on our summer shopping trip, but I need to sit down with her to discuss it.

Current convention plans for next year:
  1. Ohayocon in January. Primarily an anime convention, but there is always a steampunk presence.
  2. Steampunk Empire Symposium in April. I'll be staying at my parents' house to cut costs so I'll have to really think about each outfit I take and its drive-ability.
  3. World Steam Expo in May.
  4. DragonCon in September.
At least one of the steampunk conventions (and maybe even DragonCon) will be done with only taking things that will go with my black underskirt. It's an effort to 'pack light' but a lot of my wardrobe could go over that skirt. And I may just make more that will go with it as well.

For Ohayocon, I want to revamp both of my Harley Quinn outfits. (1) The comic book body suit needs a new collar and cuffs. I already have some white taffeta I can use for the collar, I just need to make the pattern and then add the fluffy balls (which I may have in my stash). The cuffs I plan to make out of trim from Joanns -- it's white pleated ribbon. I think two or three rows of it will give the perfect look. I'd like to make both the collar and the cuffs removable. If possible, I'd also like to make shoe covers and purchase a pair of red gloves. I'm striving for a more accurate costume. (2) I want to add white braid along the jacket edges of my steampunk version and maybe also at the skirt hem, so it flows. This will take some time, because it has to be sewn on by hand. Maybe I'll purchase some braid this weekend with my extra discount so I can work on it over Thanksgiving...I need to measure how much I'll need first.

Other projects in the planning stages:
  • I still really want to make an 18th century costume, either a robe a l'anglaise or a petticoat and jacket combination. This will be a lengthy proposition though, as I need to start from the skin out with stays and pocket hoops or a bumroll.
  • I also really want to do a steampunk gypsy costume. I spent time yesterday pouring over Miss Kagashi's post on "The Roving Roma" (http://thesteamerstrunk.blogspot.com/2011/03/cylthe-roving-roma.html) and developing plans.
  • And I want to look through all of my fabric and see what I can find to make new costumes. And probably new corsets, maybe even to sell.
  • I'd love to make some new corsets. I have tons of ideas, I just need to sit down and execute them.
Steampunk Gypsy plans: I already have a white peasant blouse with embroidery. I want to have layered skirts, I'm thinking of using a two tiered white eyelet skirt as the bottom layer and a tiered patchwork skirt over top. I have an entire bin full of fabric scraps for the patchwork skirt project -- I've been planning it for months. Inspiration: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=259659.0 I may do a crazy quilt version a la Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

I might incorporate my pink shawls from my Ottoman steampunk: one as the bustle, the other as a drape or headscarf. If I don't wear the shawl over my hair, I'll wear some sort of scarf or bandanna that coordinates with my outfit. I plan to wear a lot of jewelry: a steampunk necklace a friend gave me, a watch locket from my grandmother, a purple and black necklace of plastic jewels bought from a street vendor in Amsterdam, and maybe my black beaded choker as well. Along with lots of bangles, hoop earrings and probably some rings as well. I have a coin belt that I'll likely wear and I have some coin jewelry charms that I'd like to use as trim somewhere or to make a necklace. Corset wise, I could wear the pink one, my black and silver waist cincher or I could make a new one.


Crazy quilt skirt from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I just love Howard Keel, don't you?

Stash sewing ideas: I know I have some cream and black flocked satin that might make a nice polanaise if I have enough OR it could work for an 18th century jacket then all I'd need would be a black petticoat...I also have a length of black and silver plaid left from my black and silver costume, maybe I could make a new skirt so I could be plaid head to toe. Oh I really like that idea. It would probably have to be a shortened skirt because I know there's not enough for a full length version. Although there is always the possibility of a shortened black underskirt trimmed in deep black and silver plaid ruffles. I know I have some purple linen as well...And a ton of other stuff. I really need to go through all my bins. Oh and there's a ton of bright pink satin, maybe that should go towards my 18th century outfit.

How to make an 18th century petticoat links:
http://www.koshka-the-cat.com/18c_petticoat.html
http://www.18cnewenglandlife.org/petticoat.htm
http://americanduchess.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-make-18th-century-petticoat.html (btw I follow this blog and recommend it highly)

I'm actually rather tempted to adapt patterns in my stash or that are easily purchase-able patterns to make something vaguely 18th century but not 100% accurate. After all, I am a steampunk. Can I steampunk the 18th century?

Corset Ideas:

A ribbon corset. This is a corset made of ribbon instead of fabric. I'm thinking I could adapt my underbust corset pattern to make one of these quite easily. Now do I have any ribbon in my stash...


A ribbon corset from an awesome corsetry blog, Bridges on the Body.

A corset based on Dr. Warner's Sanitary Corset from the late 1870s. It just looks so very steampunk-able to me.


The front buttons...


And the back has elastic. (Photos from the Antique Corset Gallery)

A corset based on the Kabo Girdle 801. This is a wrap around corset which is so unusual and amazing.


Front view



Back view. (Photos from the Antique Corset Gallery).

And now for my newest corset obsession, the corset with shoulder braces. I want to make a high backed, underbust corset with straps that fasten over the shoulders. I've been collecting some denim that might work well with this...or maybe I should do it for my gypsy costume...


From Ageless Patterns

Summary:
  • fall/winter sewing
  • elf punk
  • sewing for Miss Von Stoup
  • Harley Quinn revamp
  • patchwork skirt for gypsy-punk
  • stash sewing: cream and black satin, black and silver plaid, purple linen, bright pink satin
  • corsets
I have a lot of plans don't I?

A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment