Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Adding to my immediate sewing list...

The first weekend of May, my mother and I are taking a trip to see our family in Florida. My beloved grandmother (the one I'm named after and who taught me to sew), moved down there earlier this year. As you can probably imagine, I've been thinking of what to pack because yes, I do plan ahead that much.

Today, I randomly wondered via Twitter if I should sew something, like a new sundress. A friend commented that I should and we discussed our mutual love of retro fashion. And inspiration struck: I should make that playsuit / skirt combination that has been on my to do list for a year. So I start thinking about combining patterns, like was my original plan, and I do some Google-ing. Low and behold, Simplicity has a decent playsuit pattern. It's not perfect, and it'll need some modification, but it'll be easier and quicker than franken-patterning my own.

Planned alterations: A shorter length, the legs of the playsuit look a little long. Maybe a different neckline, more like this one from one of the retro sundress patterns I got from Diary of a Renaissance Seamstress a while ago. And I'm probably going to change the zipper to a back zipper and get rid of the way that back looks, I think it has elastic in it.

Or maybe I should just franken-pattern it, if I'm going to be making all these alterations anyways...Actually I think altering the playsuit pattern will probably end up easier, because its already meant to fit a certain way, whereas I'd probably run into fitting issues if I tried to combine a bodice from a dress pattern with a shorts pattern.

So I need to pick up Simplicity 2401 asap, and about 5 yards of a nice cotton. I may have something in my stash, but I'm not sure. I'll check clearance today, but if I don't find something it'll be okay -- I've got some time.

New sewing list:
  • Gyspy steampunk by April 27th for Steampunk Empire Symposium
  • Paris steampunk by April 27th for Steampunk Empire Symposium
  • Playsuit / skirt combo by May 3rd for Florida trip

God, I'm a glutton for punishment...

No comments:

Post a Comment