Thursday, December 8, 2011

Gypsy Steampunk: The Corset (and a few other little things)

This week I wanted to:
1. Trim pulled fringe on elf punk bustle and assemble the outfit for Sunday's tea.
2. Find embroidery thread for my mother.
3. Finish skirt panel number four.
4. Make a toaster cover for a Christmas present.
5. Work on the gypsy steampunk corset.

What I accomplished:
1. I trimmed the pulled fringe on elf punk bustle and assemble the outfit for Sunday's tea. Unfortunately, I cannot find the red bodice I wanted to wear so it looks like I'll have to make due with the burgundy one.
2. It took some searching but I did indeed find the embroidery thread for my mother. I cannot however find my eyelet pliers...
3. I finished skirt panel number four.
4. Make a toaster cover for a Christmas present. -- Yeah this isn't going to get done this week.
5. And I worked on the gypsy steampunk corset.

Corset: I decided to layer the black pleather with eyelets over some brown trim (I'm using left over quilt binding since I have it). I'm doing this for two reasons: (1) to incorporate brown so I can bind the edges in brown faux silk and (2) the eyelet trim alone is really too narrow, it needs more heft to look right. I started sewing the trim onto the binding. I also took about and inch and a half off each side of the center back and basted the edges together. Then I stitched boning channels at the center front and side front seams.

What I need to do to finish the corset: Finish stitching the trim to the binding. Stitch the layered trim on. Figure out what buckles I'm using and attach those. Stitch the lining to the outside at the center back and at the shoulders. Make boning channels along the center back and insert bones into all the channels. Make the binding and bind the remaining edges. Put in eyelets in the back (will probably do this at the captain's because he has a set of eyelet pliers). Put a zipper in the front.

Since I work doubles today and tomorrow and since I'm then heading south to Cincinnati for much of the weekend (my cousin is getting married Saturday), my to do list for next week:
1. Make that damn toaster cover.
2. Finish my corset, except for the eyelets since those will have to wait until I can go to the captain's quarters.
If those get done, (3) work on my crazy quilt skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment