Saturday, June 18, 2011

DragonCon: Confederate Progress 1

I actually worked on my uniform last night! After trying it on again, I decided that the sleeves were just fine (and confirmed it with Miss Dashwood), so I set about topstitching along the collar and front edges. I need to handstitch the facings in place, hem and put on the snap closures. Then of course comes the braid and buttons...

And there's a bit of an issue - the sleeves are too short. Which leaves two remedies: (1) shortening the sleeves to 3/4 length, which then means we probably can't do any braid on them or (2) adding cuffs to lengthen the sleeves. Honestly, I don't like either option so I have no idea what to do at this moment.

In other news, I think I've decided to make an 18th century robe a l'anglais for myself when I get the chance. I was planning on a natural form Victorian gown, but I think I need a break from Victorian. The only major downside (besides needing YARDS of fabric and expensive patterns) is that I'll need proper undergarments -- a chemise, stays and pocket hoops. The chemise and pocket hoops I believe can be made via internet instructions, the stays will need a pattern. Fortunately, Butterick has a stays pattern so I'll probably just pick that up next time they're on sale and perhaps start on them in between other projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment