Friday, November 12, 2010

Christmas Gifts and the beginning of Ohayocon Prep

Hello my dearest readers!

With Christmas and Ohayocon fast approaching, I find myself up to my eyeballs in sewing!!

First of all, Christmas since it is after all only a little more than a month away! I have to make two aprons for my parents and two pairs of pajama pants for my brother and his wife. The aprons are going to be Christmas themed, Santa and Mrs Claus aprons if you will. After all, my father already looks rather like good old St Nick with his almost white full beard. His apron will be red with a red and white striped candy cane applique on the front while Mother's will be red trimmed in red and white striped ruffles. Both will have red and white striped bias trim. I've already started these - both aprons have been cut out and partially penned for the hemming, I cut out the ruffles for Maman's apron and the candy cane for Papa's, and I started cutting the bias (I don't know how much I'll need so I didn't want to cut up all the fabric. After all, I might need it for something else!) I already have a pajama pant pattern. I need to purchase the fabric and get those made soon, so I can focus on other things. And so everyone actually gets their gifts on time lol

Now for Ohayocon! Jillian Von Stoup, Dr. Franklin Chronus and I have decided to do a Steampunk Rogue's Gallery. I was already planning to do a steamy version of Harley Quinn (one of the costumes I've been sketching in recent weeks) so when she mentioned doing a group costume, I jumped in with both feet (she's a redhead you see, so of course I thought of Poison Ivy). Ms Von Stoup will be playing Poison Ivy while the doctor is on board as Mr. Freeze. We've all three gone into major planning mode. Ms. Von Stoup and I actually plan to meet this evening to discuss our costumes. I have not started anything yet, but plan to work on a few pieces of my costume soon (after I finish my parents' aprons). I already have the fabric I need for my bustle, corset and petticoat / bloomers (not sure which one I'll do yet), so I figured I could get those started before going on a shopping trip for the rest of the fabric I'll need. As of now, I'm only making my costume and helping with Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze (at least, that's what I'm hoping). However, I am trying to talk my beau into dressing as the Joker for me. The trick is to design a costume that he'll actually be happy to wear. Then I'll have mine and his to make, which I don't think will be too overwhelming. I don't know if any other Archonites will be joining in on the fun, so there's always the possibility that I'll be sewing more. Otherwise, I'll also be making an Imperial Officer uniform for myself. I have patterns I can use for the skirt and pants, I just need to pick up the jacket pattern and the fabric. This would be the other costume that I've been planning recently.

Definite projects over the next few months --
1. Aprons for my parents
2. Pajama pants for my brother and sister in law
3. Steampunk Harley Quinn for myself
4. Helping with Poison Ivy and Mr Freeze

Probable projects over the next few months --
5. Imperial Officer uniform for myself
6. A couple new, normal skirts for me to wear to work this winter. I have some nice wide wale heavy corduroy in blue and purple that I want to use.

Possible projects over the next few months --
7. Joker for my beau
8. Maybe other costumes for fellow Archonites

And in my sewing bag today is my beau's kilt. I plan to get it hemmed for him.

That's it for now! A bientot!

Miss Leah J Wilde

PS If anyone else from the Archon wants in on our Steampunk Rogue's Gallery, please let me know asap so we can get the planning (and the sewing!) started!

No comments:

Post a Comment