I hemmed my beau's kilt and he says that its 'perfect' now. So happy that I managed to get the hem to lay correctly.
I got a lot of work done on my parents' aprons this weekend -- I hemmed the top and the sides of both aprons. I sewed the ruffle together for the bottom of Maman's apron (its two pieces of striped red and white cotton about 6 to 8 inches wide by the width of the fabric which is 45 inches), used a basting stitch on it and gathered it down to fit the hem of her apron. Sewed it on, zigzagged the edges and top stitched it to hold it in place. Currently the hem of the ruffle is pinned and ready to be sewn (and yes I realize that I should have hemmed it BEFORE I gathered it. I was in a hurry and skipped a step. Everyone messes up now and then.) I also put a smaller ruffle at the top - took a piece of the striped fabric about 3 to 4 inches wide, folded it in half lengthwise and gathered it. I didn't use the entire 45 inches, maybe only about half of it. That was stitched along the top of the apron. Next I sewed together a few strips of bias cut from the striped fabric and stitched it along the curved edges of the apron (the armholes if you will), leaving enough at the top for the apron to go over her head and enough on the sides to tie behind her back. Then the rest of the bias was folded in half and stitched together. As for Papa's apron, I ironed the applique onto the front using Stitch Witchery before using a satin stitch on the machine to go around the edges of the applique. I cut out the bias, sewed it together and am currently in the process of pinning it so that it can be sewn. His apron also needs hemmed.
I went fabric shopping this weekend and bought several things. The first was fabric for my sister in law's pajama pants. I prewashed it yesterday so its ready to be started on anytime. I already have a pattern and I purchased elastic for both pairs of pajama pants this weekend as well. I still need to purchase fabric for my brother's, but the shop did not have the right fabric in the right color in stock.
The fabric shopping expedition also included Miss Von Stoup and Dr. Chronus. For Harley, I purchased a little more than eight yards of taffeta -- half black, half red. The black has a tiny pattern of fleur de lis, the red of diamonds. Miss Von Stoup purchased green satin and sheers to used for her dress and bustle and Dr. Chronus found some natural colored linen to use for his outfit.
In preparation for Harley Quinn, I prewashed all the fabric that I plan on using. Once my parents' aprons are completed, I plan to start on this costume. I'll likely make the petticoat first, work from the bottom up if you will.
We have added two more participates to our steampunk Rogue's Gallery -- Miss Dashwood will be playing the role of Catwoman while my beloved beau will be dashing as the Joker. Needless to say, I am VERY excited to have him as my Joker. After all, Harley Quinn wouldn't be Harley Quinn without him. Honestly she wouldn't - he's the one that made her, in his own image. One demented clown as a mate for another.
Definite projects over the next few months --
1. Aprons for my parents - hem Maman's ruffle, sew on Papa's bias and hem Papa's apron
2. Pajama pants for my brother and sister in law - purchase fabric for my brother, sew my sister in law's
3. Steampunk Harley Quinn for myself
4. Steampunk Joker for my beau
5. Steampunk Catwoman for Miss Dashwood
6. Helping with Poison Ivy and Mr Freeze
Hopeful projects over the next few months --
7. Imperial Officer uniform for myself (this will probably be pushed farther and farther out with all the other sewing I have going on, but I have at least purchased the pattern for the jacket! and I already have patterns I can use for the skirt and or pants)
8. A couple new, normal skirts for me to wear to work this winter. I have some nice wide wale heavy corduroy in blue and purple that I want to use.
Possible projects over the next few months --
9. Maybe other costumes for fellow Archonites
That's all for now! A beintot!
Miss Leah J Wilde