Friday, May 14, 2010

Marcon prep #5

1. Put together my new black and silver bodice. Its a corset style w a lot of pieces, one of my favorite patterns actually. I had to take it in A LOT, I think mainly because the fabric had a bit of stretch to it. I took it the two front seams and the two side back seams about 3/8 of an inch. This made it so the bottom fit perfectly but the top was still too big - I don't have much in the way of decolletage - so I took in the two side seams and the center back seam 3/8 of an inch at the top and tapering to the normal 5/8 seam near the middle of the bodice. This plus finishing the front edge w a narrow hem made it so the bodice fit pretty much perfectly. Now to see if the buttons are going to be enough...My original plan was two rows of buttons w elastic loops holding them closed but I may have to go to elastic 'button holes' and all the buttons down one side. I also hemmed the top and bottom edges of the bodice. I used a zigzag stitch on the front, top and bottom so that the fabric can still stretch a little.

2. Finished the seams on the plaid taffeta 'jacket' w a few passes of a zigzag stitch. Then I cut two strips of bias from the plaid to finish the edges of the jacket. Pinned and then sewed that on. The next step will be hand stitching it in place. Then I need to cut some more bias to finish the armholes.

In my sewing basket today - bodice and buttons; plaid jacket to stitch down the bias; and I still have my time traveler bustle and skirt (Fixed the zipper on the bodice yesterday) that need ring tape and rings respectively. The skirt also needs the hook closure moved but I'm worried that'll mess up the bustle so we'll have to see how that works out.

Projects that might not get done before Marcon - my Leia belt and my prop for my time traveler costume. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment