Tuesday, November 12, 2013

2014 To Make Wish List

Okay, so I know its only November, but one of my sewing friends (Dixie) recently made a similar post so I figured I might as well start the thinking and the planning. After all, it's never too early for planning!! We're actually trying to start a historical costuming group in Columbus, so let me know if you're interested!

First of all, I think I'm going to start making a change from steampunk / pseudo historical dress into sewing more historically accurate clothing. This has been stewing for a while, so it's not really surprising that I'm making the leap.

So without further ado...

1. I still want to make an 18th outfit. Starting with a shift and stays, then an under petticoat (since a skirt is a petticoat when we're taking 18th century) and some sort of gown. I personally love the Robe a l’Anglaise for some reason. Or maybe a Robe a la Piemontasse. Or maybe just a jacket and a petticoat.  My indecision is why I figured I should just start with the undergarments!

2. I've been obsessed with the Civil War pretty much as long as I can remember. I used to doodle ridiculously full skirted dresses when I was in school. And had Civil War paper dolls, I think from when we went to Gettysburg. I blame my father for the obsession, by the way, because it's totally his fault Mr. I Have Union and Confederate Kepis hanging on my wall. Anyways, I've decided to finally give in and make a Civil War dress.  The full nine yards -- corset, shift, drawers, hoop, petticoat, and (again) some sort of dress. Also if anyone knows of any female reenactors in Ohio, I want to be friends with them. Connect us, please!

3. As some of you may know, I'm a genealogist. And I have a few favorite ancestors, one of which is my great great grandmother Minerva (Dupre) Fink. My mother recently gave me a bunch of old pictures (imagine the squee-ing the resulted), including what we believe to be their wedding photo. I'd like to recreate her wedding ensemble. They married in 1901, but since they lived in Ohio, I'm guessing she's dressed more in the late 1890s style: high necked, slightly poofy sleeves. Unfortunately, the picture is only from the waist up, so I'm going to be doing a lot of guessing. Again, this will be corset, shift, drawers, petticoat and then the dress / blouse and skirt.

Looking at this year's sewing to do lists, I'd like to finish a couple other projects next year as well that are already begun:

4. I cut out the overskirt for the sari ensemble that I want to do. I used Truly Victorian's 1886 Bordered Asymetrical Overskirt. I'd like to get that put together. And make some kind of bodice to go with it, I just don't know what yet. So it's on the to do list, but maybe not very high up on it.

5. I'd also like to finally make the 1884 Wash Overskirt (also Truly Victorian). I traced it a while back, but didn't feel like starting on it. It'll be out of grey satin to go with my Governess costume and trimmed to the nines in whatever I can find to trim it in.

Other things I'd like to do (also from my 2013 list, but not started yet):

6. I still want to do something Regency (another era I'm obsessed with). But again, I'll want to start with accurate undergarments. I actually know less about this era than others, so if I'm wrong in this forgive me, but accurate undergarments will probably mean a chemise, stays (but much different than 18th century stays), and a petticoat (or bodiced petticoat) and then a dress. And I still want a spencer because they are much too cute NOT to own one!

Added on 11/18:
7. I'd also love an Edwardian corset because they are so freaking beautiful, but I pretty much have no reason to make and wear one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment