Thursday, May 8, 2014

Steamtopia Preparations: Post the Second



First of all, here's where I'm going: Steamtopia and here's the Archon and regular Facebook events for it. I should be working the Costuming track and presenting a couple panels on historical undergarments, but I don't have 100% confirmation of that yet so...*fingers crossed*  But they have a lot of awesome stuff planned, so even if I don't end up working the convention, I'm bound to have a great time! As of now, the Archon departs Columbus at noon on June 12th. :)

Secondly, I did find some time to sew over the weekend!

  • Edwardian corset -- DONE! Sewed the hooks and eyes to the bottom of the corset while at Family Camp with my church. Totally sat outside on the deck overlooking the stream with a friend and sewed. :)
  • Edwardian chemise -- Mostly done, including handsewing lace onto the front yoke. It ended up a little short and a little more high necked that I would have liked, so I pinned in a piece on the shoulders in between the shoulder seam to lengthen and lower the neckline. Haven't stitched it into place yet though. Once that's sewn, I'll try it on with the corset to check the length and decide if it also needs a ruffle at the bottom. I also plan to add more lace to the side and back neckline, but not the back yoke because I want to be able to tell the front and back apart!
  • Hand sewing lace onto the chemise yoke.
     
  • Airship uniform -- Still haven't touched it.
  • New airship uniform corset -- Basted the interlining together and fitted it, decided it was okay so I took it apart and cut out the gold satin and black pleather lace (for two panels only), basted all the layers, then sewed it all together.  Then I measured everything and ordered the busk and boning yesterday. Going for all steel this time! Trying to figure out the eyelets though, cuz I think the gold ones I have are too brassy. I can order black ones online though so that might just be the way to go... Once I have the busk, I'm going to put it in and do a fitting because I need to see how it fits through the hips.  I may have to make some lacing strips for that as well. Then comes the bone casings, the boning, the eyelets and the binding. I haven't decided 100% if I'm lining it or not.
  • Corset in progress.
  • Lobster tail bustle -- Finished replacing all the ties while at Family Camp, sitting on the aforementioned deck!
  • Wash overskirt --The apron has been trimmed in black and silver plaid bias strips, I cut the placket into the sides / back and finished it with bias as well. The placket isn't the prettiest thing ever, but it'll be covered by the bodice's tails so ... I also made more bias strips and pinned it to the hem of the sides / back.  Currently trying to decide if I want to add a red ruffle as well or not, out of the same fabric that the bodice is lined in. The hat has a tiny bit of red, so I kinda want to bring that on down.
  • Gold brocade polonaise -- I've been measured by a friend, and just figured out what size to make. So the next step is tracing the pattern and cutting out the mockup. Probably out of the interlining fabric so that I can then just use it as the pattern and as part of the finished garment. Once I get the brocade cut out, I'm going over to a friend's to use her serger to finish the edges. And I've been shopping for trim, cuz I'm gonna need a LOT of it.
  • New white petticoat -- Nothing, but I think I'm just going with a quick and easy pattern not the TV one I have. It'll be a lot simpler plus I don't think I have enough for an 1870s or 1880s TV petticoat.
  • Swimsuit -- Nothing. In fact, this is getting marked off. I really want to make it, but I've never made a swimsuit before and if I rush to get it done before Steamtopia, I'll just foul it up. So I'm better off to just say no to the project. And go buy a new one instead! Cuz I seriously haven't bought a swimsuit in like...7 years.
  • Also I'm thinking I need a garrison hat to go with my airship uniform. And I think I'm going to ask if I can borrow my dad's top hat as well, it'd look good with the polonaise...
HSF-wise: The chemise needs done by June 1st so I can take my pictures for the Art challenge. And I'm thinking I may just pound out that petticoat for the Black and White challenge, but the deadline is soooooon (May 15th) so I'm not sure if that's gonna happen or not.

But convention prep-wise? I feel like I'm pretty on top of this!! T minus FIVE WEEKS and I'll be on the road headed to the wild northern lands!

A bientot, mes amis!





No comments:

Post a Comment