Thursday, October 27, 2011

And the sewing has FINALLY resumed!!

First up -- Finishing that quilt I started about a year ago for my beau.

Good news: All of the tying is complete! Except for a small section that needs redone: I started tying using black yarn and the black yarn went missing, so I asked if it was okay if I used red instead when I found some red. The beau said it was okay, but now he doesn't like the way it looks so I have to redo about a dozed or so squares (each corner is tied so its a lot of ties to redo). On the bright side, it IS a small section in relation to the rest of the quilt.

I also trimmed off most of the extraneous batting. I'm going to have to get creative with the backing -- It is too short on the ends and too long on the sides. On the top I'm going to take out the hem (its a sheet, so there's lots of extra there) to give myself more fabric. On the bottom, I'm just going to have to sew on a strip to lengthen it. I'm tempted to shorten the quilt instead. I could just take off the bottom row of squares...of course that would negate that row of tying...But I don't know if I want to hassle with adding fabric to the back of an already quilted quilt.

Once the back is fixed, I need to tackle the binding. I either need to buy binding (easier) or make my own (cheaper). If I can borrow a friend's strip cutter, I'll probably go with making my own, but if that doesn't work out, I'll just buy it.


A shot of the quilt


A close up of the quilt. I'm thinking of using that Jedi blue for the binding...

Next comes Christmas presents!

First: A wall hanging for my mother. It's made from the pieces of an applique quilt my grandmother started years (maybe decades) ago. I've already pieced it together, adding pieces of coordinating fabric where needed, and I've started putting the back together. The back needs some more work before it's ready. Once the back's done, I'll pin everything together and start machine quilting it. Then of course comes the binding. I need to ask if she wants me to put some sort of hanger on the back or if she's going to take care of that.

Second: Probably some curtains for my father for his den. Mother gave me the idea.

I have no idea what I'm making / giving my brother or his wife for Christmas this year. Nor do I know what I'm making / giving my beau either. I set the bar kind of high last year when I made him a scrapbook of himself in Star Wars costumes. Damn me for that awesome present.

In other news...

Several things I wanted to make for Halloween haven't happened. I wanted to make a circle skirt out of some Halloween fabric I have to wear to work ON Halloween, but haven't had a chance. And since Halloween is Monday, I don't see it happening. I also wanted to make a tutu for my planned Halloween costume, but again, I haven't had a chance. And since I doubt anyone at the party we'll probably attend would 'get' who I was supposed to be, I don't know if I even want to bother with it. I'm not even really in the mood for Halloween this year, it just kind of appeared out of nowhere and nothing's ready, nor do I really know what the plans are this weekend. So...

I also have some 'normal' sewing I want to work on (work clothes mainly). I may try to improve my Harley Quinn bodysuit for Ohayocon in February. And there's sewing for Miss Von Stoup to do, as usual.

But first the quilt and the Christmas presents. And maybe the tutu for this weekend. Maybe.

A beintot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment