And watching Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Arrow and Star Trek (2009, not the new one, unfort), while sewing.
So what did I do during all that sewing time?
Well, the Mad Moxxi commission is mostly finished. My client is coming over today for me to figure out snap placement and hand it off to her. This jacket is one of the most complicated things I've ever made.
|I painted the stripes with spray fabric paint and lots of masking tape. The yellow braid is all hand sewn on (just tacked, not intensively sewn down). The lining was basted in by hand. The buttons were of course sewn on by hand.|
|And I MADE striped fabric for the collar and cuffs -- sewed doubled face white satin ribbon down onto the cut out cuffs and collar of black satin.|
Told you it was intensive!
It looks pretty fantastic though.
- Put together my Star Trek wrap circle skirt (to make it a wrap skirt, I added an extra piece on one side, put on a waistband, left a slit in where the waist band attached so that the waist band / sash could slip through). Because of the weird way I cut out the skirt, the sides ended up being short so I had to then measure the short sections and measure all around the skirt, marking, drawing a new cutting line, and trimming off the bottom. Now all it needs is hemmed!
Skirt before I put it together
- Worked on my dotted swiss sundress. I ended up buying a dusky green poly cotton for the lining, because the blue dots weren't blue-blue, but more of a blue-green. I put together the lining, stitched down the elastic in the dress waist, tacked in the skirt lining, then sewed the bodice lining down to cover the waist seam. The green lining darkens the skirt a bit, but it makes the blue dots pop, so I think I'm okay with it. White lining is just so boring, you know? It's going to look so pretty with a petticoat underneath! Right now it's hanging on the back of my closet door so the bias cut skirt can settle before I hem it.
Dotted swiss sundress hanging so the skirt can settle
- Made my sister in law a new nursing cover. - She's of Dutch ancestry and we just got in two Dutch prints at work: one with windmills and a stripe with windmills and wooden shoes. I asked what she wanted and she requested a new nursing cover. I think it's a bit of a different shape than the first one I made (because I didn't follow the pattern) but I hope it works for her. I lost the pocket on the original pattern, but kept the boning and adjustable strap because she said she liked them. Yesterday I finished it by hand stitching the facing in place along the top edge. So that'll go down to Cincinnati the next time I visit!
- I've cut out a lot of my new summer wardrobe pieces AND pinned the darts and seams as well. (My office has been SLOW lol). - As of right now I have cut out: The black and red gingham shorts and top. The pink 60s shift. The red pencil skirt. Half of the measuring tape circle skirt (it was giving me issues so I gave up, the fabric needs ironed before I try again). Turquoise and white striped 40s blouse. White striped sateen - I went with a wrap blouse as an experiment, used the bodice from the walkaway dress, lengthened the bodice a bit and made both the front and back pieces a bit wider to accommodate a closure in the back and a tie front. Black and white Paris print cotton bodice. And I cut out the black and pink large gingham check plaid pencil skirt, hopefully I did it right and my plaid will match up!
Vintage pattern I'm using to make a 60s shift dress
|And the cut out 60s shift with the darts pinned.|
That's all I've got for now! A bientot!
PS - Almost forgot that I picked up a super cute retro inspired McCalls dress pattern the other day randomly. No idea how I missed this pattern! lol So I'm going to use my blue embroidered linen to make McCalls 6503 instead of a skirt, once I decide which neckline I like better...